Introductions

My name is Ian, and I have never had a fight in my life (there I said it). Actually I have had one or two minor skirmishes in school ... vs Stephen Wincote age 6, and vs Mark Laven age 13 ... but that's it. I don't want to fight anyone in real-life, its just not me. I only admit that to give you a bit of context for this project. Over the next 12 months I am going to document our journey to become amateur boxers. Haha, I said amateur as if there's the option to be professional ... I am 32 years old, will be 33 in July, I work as a Sales Manager for a large software corporation, and I live in Ottawa, Canada with my wife of 5 and a half years and my dog, Fern. I am in reasonable shape, judge for yourself when you see the introductory video, but don't judge too hard because I ate a load of junk food and drank a load of booze before those shots to make the footage 12 months from now look even more impressive. Konrad is an Economist. I was pretty surprised when he said that he wanted to join in when I told him about the plan to transform myself into a boxer over the course of 12 months, with the goal of having a real boxing match on a proper bill. Konrad is younger than me. I would guess that he is fitter too, but I think its fair to say that we both have some hard work to do to keep this from being downright dangerous. Marcus is a Market Analyst, and is probably the fittest of the three of us starting the training. As of today Marcus has not commited to actually fighting but he wants to train, and I think he may get into it. I don't know, no pressure. Firuz is filming it all. I explained the plan to him about 2 months ago, and he liked the idea of tracking rather average, normal men trying to get fit enough not to get humiliated by some little shithead first time we step into the ring.


Buying the gloves at Canadian Tire

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Whitebrook Boxing Kinetics


This is the Champagne Fitness Centre at the end of my street, and its where Whitebrook Boxing Kinetics hold classes to teach boxing technique and fitness. We went to see the advanced class, and met Chris the owner and trainer to ask him if we could join and film it. He agreed and will give us extra tips and training if we share the footage of our progress with him to use for his promotions .. fair enough, should be some good stuff. There are five levels of fitness according to his program, it takes about two years to get to level 3. We don't have that much time, so we'll have to do a lot of our own work outside. We've signed up for twice a week. Chris was a CFL player-turned boxer who stopped fighting after 9 successful bouts because he got a CAT scan and saw the damage done. So they don't spa at WBK, its all about the fitness and that suits us for a start.

No comments: